Friday, May 26, 2006

I fell asleep while watching Tuesday night/Wednesday morning’s Mets tilt on that new SportsNet NY channel. When I turned on the TV the following afternoon, I saw the SNY Sportsnite program and opted to give it a try. The anchor was a guy named David Lee, who reminded me of the fat dude from that Bebe’s Kids movie.

As I watched, there was an interview with new Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer. Who was doling out the questions? None other than former Rutgers quarterback Ray Lucas. Notice I didn’t say STAR quarterback Ray Lucas. Four seasons with no bowl contests will do that to you.

Here was his interviewing style, “Yo, so you’re comin’ in here. Schottenheimer….a pretty well known name. What’s up?” That was the only question they aired. I have no idea if he gave him a high-five prior to that or told him how much of a fan he was of his work.

Don’t get me wrong, it was good to see Lucas make it to the NFL, but when I heard Lucas broadcast a Rutgers/Vanderbilt football two years ago, I almost got sick.

Rutgers rallied for a miraculous 37-34 victory at Vanderbilt. Yes, VANDERBILT. Not exactly the pinnacle of college football (then again, neither is Rutgers). While on the air, Lucas proceeded to scream and yell during the final moments. I understand he is a former player but screaming over the final call….that’s a BIG no-no in broadcasting.

Now the SNY channel gets to enjoy his professionalism.

RUMOR OF THE DAY: Looks like Joe Pendleton has been meddling in Hilary Swank's personal life. One week after their encounter, the best actress Oscar winner has decided to end her relationship with Chad Lowe. I wonder if Mrs. Pendleton is getting curious about his evenings away from home......even on off nights. Curiously.....he didn't show up for softball on Sunday. Hmmm......

My Coke Rewards.....up to 143 points. Have a safe and happy Memorial Day.

3 comments:

Pete said...

RayRay makes Michael Mariano look like a professional.

jersey girl said...

Lucas was on the local morning news last week as part of some asinine stunt. To say he struggles on live television is putting it nicely.

Joependleton said...

Cat, if you saw how Swank tried to avoid eye contact with me on the Subway, you would quickly stop those rumors.

By the way, what was Lucas wearing A UNC jumpsuit or something?