Wednesday, May 17, 2006




Atlanta Braves first baseman Adam LaRoche made one of the worst plays I have ever seen on a baseball field.

Taking an easy grounder that was certain to be the third out of the inning, LaRoche gingerly made his way to first, getting beat out by Nationals batter Nick Johnson. The play jumpstarted a rally by the Nationals, who would eventually go on to win the game.

In the story about the game, it was mentioned that LaRoche has ADD (attention deficit disorder....which is actually called ADHD by most medical professionals now). Braves fans had the frustration of witnessing this disorder for only a few seconds. I get to witness it for about 8 hours each day.

And I wonder why I'm almost completely bald.

I wonder what would happen to LaRoche if he played for a team that was located in a city where grits isn't the main delicacy. Don't get me wrong, he wouldn't be considered Scott Norwood or anything, but he wouldn't exactly be given more leeway from this point on.

Which brings me to this tangent.....how does Norwood have an encyclopedia entry? I mean, someone actually researched his life? Then again, I guess anyone can get an entry.

Did anyone see that Yakov Smirnoff graduated from U Penn this week? (Scroll to the end of the link). That guy hasn't been seen in years. He was kinda funny as a comedian back when the Cold War was at its peak. Then when that all fell apart, you never really heard of him again. Which begs the question, how can he afford a UPenn education to begin with? Was he distilling his own Smirnoff vodka, hoping people got it confused with the legitimate Smirnoff brand? Is there some small section of the country with NO information entering where this guy is still mildly funny?

And what the hell is positive psychology? Some sort of "create-your-own major" like half the Rutgers basketball team did when I went to school. I remember one player majored in Puerto Rican Studies another majored in Drinking with a minor in Sleeping. Maybe Smirnoff should have focused on Ukrainian Studies.

Quincy....what ARE you thinking? Yes, I am happy that you might actually give Rutgers a player in the NBA as opposed to a commissioner (Davey Stern) and coach (Eddie Jordan), but there is NO way you are a first round pick. Maybe I'm wrong. Is the college talent pool THAT weak? Don't get me wrong, Douby was a good college player, and I was a fan of his work, but can't you wait one more year to assure yourself maybe a lottery selection? It's all about the money, I guess.

Mr. Douby....meet Terrell Willis.

Lastly, I want to thank Jersey Girl for her shout out today. For those who haven't read her blog, definitely check it out (along with the others by Mr. Mosher, Joe Pendleton, B. Peterman, and SJPSandman linked on the right side. It's the one thing I look forward to each day.

Well, that and 2:53 p.m. (that's the time the work day ends....although for me, it concludes when I have a mental shutdown after all of my students tell me they don't have pencils....or paper.....or anything that might make them SLIGHTLY prepared for class around 10 bells)

2 comments:

Joependleton said...

Todd: I believe Mr. Smirnoff is a huge star in that wonderful town of Branson, Mo.

Him and Tony Orlando run the place.

Pete said...

Last I saw of that Yakoff kid was on Night Court. He took a hankering to Markie Post, I believe.