Monday, May 15, 2006


I turned 30 years and one month old yesterday. (Insert sound of noisemakers here)

No, I'm not expecting a surprise party every month after the huge milestone...but I've constantly been asked, "Do you feel any different?" Not really. I must admit though....the most difficult part of reaching 30 isn't added aches and pains, added responsibility in life, passing the age threshhold for American Idol (like I can even sing happy birthday) or weakened ability to consume beverages (not that I could drink many others under the table in my prime to begin with).

The worst part might have to be facing the treadmill. I used to throw my weight on there press enter and then always an age in my 20s. Now, I have to deal with a WHOLE different category. The heart rate target changes....the diagram of where fat burning and cardio reaches another stanza on the chart.....people start gasping and breaking glasses behind me. That's a tough pill to swallow.

Not like ANYONE in my gym is swallowing pills to begin with...but I won't go there again.

I'm sure I'll be able to figure out other problems of reaching 30. But right now, I'm trying to enjoy it....

...as long as I can use my towel to cover up the treadmill reference section.

The Coke Rewards total is up to 98. (Sorry Joe Pendleton.....It's no beer count. I think that's up to 6....which is Derek Jeter's number).

Happy Birthday Rico!

4 comments:

Pete said...

Cat,

The benefit of the target heart rate changing is that it goes down. You don't have to work as hard.

It's a birthday gift, as if it's saying, "Congratulations, cat. You've paid some dues. Now you only need to beat 153 times per minute instead of 156."

Todd Cohen said...

I know it goes down....but it's also a way of the treadmill saying, "You can't keep up with your old self. We're going to lower the bar for you. And here.....take this walker and some dentures while, you're at it."

SJPSandman said...

What's a treadmill?

jersey girl said...

In many households, something to hang clothes on. Or store boxes on.