Tuesday, April 10, 2007

I Mess



I couldn't believe the top story on cnn.com earlier today.





Awaiting the BIG news of the day (that's right....the news that the words "Lawrence Birkhead" were the answer to the world famous question "Who's Your Daddy?"), I was fairly shocked to see how this Don Imus/Rutgers story has taken steam.





My impressions of this story:





I realize it's a very controversial issue, but the fact of the matter is it's growing bigger than it should. At this point, Imus' listenership rival David Lee Roth's (and does it matter if it's the David Lee Roth who was on 92.3 FM a year ago or the David Lee Roth now who might be calling his friend on a prepaid cell phone somewhere in Oxnard, California?). The guy is pretty much irrelevant.





Don Imus is a clown.....always was and always will be. I would turn him on the radio and almost vomit with that annoying voice and boring one-liners. The only funny thing on that show was the immitations that were thrown out there. Don Imus could put an ADHD kid to sleep.

But the big question....should he be fired? My response: absolutely not. The guy made a comment that was completely irresponsible. Yes, we've all made inappropriate comments (granted it wasn't in front of a microphone with tens and tens of listeners tuning in)....Michael Richards did it....the Rev. Jesse Jackson did it. Imus apologized for his actions, and I believe he's sincere. He's doing everything possible to atone for his actions. For those people who have a problem with his radio show....just turn the dial. I've walked the streets (because you know I'm deep in the hood, yo.....oh shoot, I think I hear the Rev. Al knocking on my door...I smell a blue jumpsuit) and heard comments as bad if not worse than Imus used last week.

Bonehead move....visiting Rev. Al's radio show to apologize. That's akin to wearing an "F the Yankees" shirt during a Boston/NY(A) playoff game in the middle of the Bronx.

One final thought....who knew Rev. Al even HAD a radio show? Can this even be heard anywhere in the tri-state area? Or was he given a microphone and told to speak even though there's no radio signal. Kinda like when you were 5 years old and given a camera with no film and told to take pictures.

Yes, I had a tough childhood.

Another effect from this story could be a higher asking price for C. Vivian Stringer. She conducted herself with such professionalism and class on a national stage at the press conference today. I'm sure other universities are watching what happens with this very carefully and the phone calls will be going out to Bobby Mulcahy very shortly. Should Rutgers pay her $1,000,000 a year? On one side, she's the top coach at the school but on another, it's STILL women's basketball and she has yet to win a national title in a dozen years. If I were Mulcahy, I'd probably open the wallet.

I tried to watch Thank God You're Here on NBC last night. It felt like I was getting kicked in the groin...over and over again. After all the build up, I felt like Fox was bringing back Joe Millionaire starring Ted McGinley or something. And is it me, or does that one chick have the "Stifler's Mom" label stuck to her for the rest of her life or not?


Just when 24 seemed like it would have a subpar season, that show just proves why it's the best program on TV. If you haven't started watching it....get season 1 on DVD and start the viewing. It's only going to take you 5 months to catch up.

So the thesis is done....I just have to get it bound. But now wedding season starts. 3 weddings in about 6 weeks. Anyone know if bodily fluids can be sold for cash? Because I know someone wants to get their hands on MY genetics.

4 comments:

SJPSandman said...

Amen on the Imus thing.


159-3

Pete said...

I cannot believe you believe Stringer conducted herself gracefully at the press conference.

As you can read on Squawking VFR, I believe she played the victim card far too often, and also crafted her speech as a recruiting ruse.

Very disappointing.

Ericka Bigelow said...

I'm gonna skip the Imus talk and go right to Joe Millionaire...what a great show that was. Remember the captions when Mr. Millionaire was making out with the blond bondage girl? That was hours of laughter on my part...I'm thinking you didn't really watch it, but ya should have.
Divine entertainment, friend. Divine.

Todd Cohen said...

VFR.....I think it's difficult to rip Stringer in this context.

We don't know what that team has gone through over the past few weeks. What kind of emails, phone calls, comments they've been receiving from others. I know I wouldn't want to be in their position.

The team and Stringer conducted themselves extremely professionally and represented the school better than many others who have been in the spotlight before....including one man who was the impetus in hiring Stringer back in 1995.

So what if she used it to help recruiting? If I were a female basketball player, I would be thrilled to have Stringer guiding my daughter on the court.

Although with my genes, I don't see her lasting long in that 55 defense.

Or having a good shot.

Or playing basketball.

We can discuss this further this weekend.