Friday, January 19, 2007

Manning....good or great?






On the eve of the big AFC Championship game, many people are wondering if Peyton Manning will ever make it to the big game.

Manning has put up Hall of Fame numbers (NFL record 3,000+ yards since his rookie season in 1998) and has been an ironman at his position, starting every game since he came into the league 9 seasons ago. With all of his credentials but no Super Bowl appearances (and no college national titles...or, and with apologies to Jersey Girl, just like Troy Smith, no victories over U. Florida), should Manning not be considered among the elite of all time?

I feel that championships can be somewhat overrated. I'm sure what I just said has some people pissed off and ripping me (not the first time I'm sure)....but hear me out.
John Elway went most of his career without a crown but once he had Terrell Davis in the backfield (arguably the best RB in the league) to help him win the title, he was put in a different stratosphere. And I'm not just talking about from a commercial standpoint....although it seems as though he's attached his name everything from beer to car dealarships to jock straps in the Denver area. What if he had no support his entire career? He'd still be a great player and would have made the Hall of Fame but would he still have been the deity Coloradians have praised for years?
Put Tom Glavine on the Tampa Bay Devil Rays for his entire career. Is he even considered as a Hall of Famer? If Derek Jeter is the shortstop for the Tigers with no supporting cast in the previous decade, are we putting him on his pedestal? Look at Brett Favre recently.....he's looked at as one of the best QBs ever yet hasn't made the playoffs the past two seasons with a questionable supporting cast.

I realize we're dealing strictly with theoreticals because these guys all played on the greatest stages in their sport at one time and managed to perform well under pressure, but the people around them is definitely critical.

I remember Michael Kay discussing how important Randy Johnson was to the Yankees rotation this past season and that they'll have a tough time replacing his 17 wins. Even though Johnson had an ERA over 5.00, Kay said he "pitched to the score." So, if the Yanks were up 8 runs, he'd give up 6 runs but still hold off the opponent to earn the "W". I don't really buy into that idea and feel wins are an overrated stat. Then again, my baseball career ended when I got nailed in the wedding tackle with a baseball as a Little League catcher many years ago....I'm convinced that, and not cigarettes, stunted my growth......so what do I know?

Congrats to Cal Ripken and Anthony Gwynn for their H of F selections (yeah...like they're going to even read this). For those of you looking forward to future potential Hall of Fame selections in baseball....here's what's on tap:

2008: David Justice, Robb Nen, Tim Raines (Nen...who might have considered changing his name to Bob to make the all-palendrome squad)

2009: Mark Grace, Rickey Henderson, Matt Williams (Can you imagine the number of "I"s in Henderson's speech? That kid has 3 favorite people in his life...Ricky, Mr. Henderson, and R. Henderson. Why do I have a feeling he'll be attempting a comeback again this season?)

2010: Roberto Alomar, Andres Galarraga, Barry Larkin, Edgar Martinez, Fred McGriff (Figure Alomar and Edgar to make it...I wonder if fans will hock a loogie on Alomar's bust)

2011: John Franco, Juan Gonzalez, Rafael Palmeiro, Larry Walker, Sammy Sosa (Is baseball going to have to create its own Roid Wing for some of these cats?)
I went 4-0 last weekend. Gotta go with Pats (+3) and the Saints (+2.5) this weekend. The Bears defense hasn't been good for weeks now. Losing Tommy Harris and Mike Brown were big for that unit.
How can you go against Tom Brady in ANY playoff game? I wonder if he used the same broker Michael Jordan did when he sold his soul to the devil....

No comments: