Thursday, December 27, 2007

Happy Holidays

Every year my mother gets a XMas card from an old friend that includes not only the card but also a HUGE 2 page letter that's written in what looks like 6 point font that wraps up EVERYTHING that individual has done the past year. Here's an example of what it includes:


February 27 -- Had a really great day. Woke up. Went to the bathroom. Got out of bed.



March 10 -- Drove to North Jersey to visit my grandkids. Boy how they've grown. I played peek-a-boo with them. They laughed. I laughed. Then we ate lunch. They are so cute. Blah blah blah obvious crap.....blah blah blah....more obvious crap.

June 2 -- Took a breath today. Really enjoyed the oxygen that I breathed in. Plus, I think I emitted some quality carbon dioxide for the trees around me. My how nature is so beautiful.

Is this a normal thing? Maybe a few lines of what's gone on could be more effective. Maybe answer the following questions:





-- Did anyone die?


-- Was anyone born?


-- Did anyone get married?





and then move on with "Love, Your name"





Fortunately, I won't bore you with a letter and waste paper. Instead, I will waste internet space. As I complete my final blog for the 2007 year, I think back to all of the great and not so great things that I've done over the past 12 months. My Top 7 (because I was too lazy to come up with 10.....and I figure I'm going to get a "Joker....you forgot to name an event" from my mother).....in no particular order:

-- Graduated from Kean with my Masters degree. You know what this means? Now I get a "Dr." in front of my name. That's right....I'm not sure if you knew this but my real name is Feelgood Joker. The secret is out people.




-- Broke a 25 year dry spell and ventured to Disney World with E. It was one of the best trips I have ever been on. Unless you count the time I went to Disney World when I was 5. My family did go on that trip but the fact it involved no Epcot or alcohol gives the 2007 trip the edge.




-- Received my first iPod from E. Nice job by my brother passing along this tip: To get songs for your ipod, go to the local library and borrow some CDs. I was shocked at the titles they had when I walked into my local biblioteca for the first time since I had to do that 3rd grade shoebox report on the state of New Jersey. It was exciting. Trust me.








-- Purchased a Honda Civic this week (and no, it's not the same as the picture....but this is my blog so piss off). The car is blue and works. Two key things I wanted in a car purchase. This is certain to bolster my status as a chick magnet. I may have to change my name to McLovin', Jr.



-- Jumped on the Munchmobile for a seafood ride. Then I was told to get off. The police were involved....it was a mess. But the scallops were damn good!

-- Watched the last episode of the Sopranos. I think after 8 months I finally have come to this conclusion about the ending.





-- Last but not least.....I was able to help plan and contribute to a pancreatic cancer fund raiser this past October. Thanks for all who donated and attended. I can't wait until next year's bigger and better Picnic for Pancan!


That brings me to my final point....





My mother sent me a link about Randy Pausch, a professor at Carnegie Melon University. Dr. Pausch is dying of pancreatic cancer (the same thing my father had). He gave a lecture at CMU that pretty much summed up his life and discussed key life lessons he wanted to pass along to his three young children.



THIS is a true hero. Check out the Lecture of a Lifetime. I watch this video and think about all of the things that life has to offer. I don't want to get sentimental here but watching Dr. Pausch remain positive even in the most dire circumstances is something to admire.




Someone once said, "Everyday is a gift from God." Dr. Pausch is truly living this for as long as he has left.

Enjoy your new year and may all of you have an even better 2008.

3 comments:

Pete said...

The moon must be causing some insomnia ... or insanity ... tonight.

Pendleton, Joker, Pinkeye and VFR blogs all updated for the first time in eons, all tonight.

Crazy times. Perhaps we're all entering a blogging heyday of sorts.

Good stuff, Joker.

Growing up, we used to get one of those Christmas letters from one particular family that was so ridiculous and gushing that we looked forward to its arrival each year, just so we could have an official reading of it during dinner and openly mock it.

Several years later, it inexplicably stopped arriving.

Come to find out the idyllic life painted in the letters had been shattered when the reverend husband had been found banging the church secretary.

SJPSandman said...

You are so gay.

E = Eric. It's time people finally learned the truth.

Todd Cohen said...

Pete.....I hope the "rev." in question wasn't your father.

Sandman...bold words coming from a "man" who ranks the Indigo Girls as one of his favorites.