Thursday, January 10, 2008

Welcome Home!





Occasionally, a story in the newspaper catches my eye. I subscribe to the Star Ledger and usually do a quick perusal of the news section....maybe if I was a reader of the Trentonian, I would be more entralled by the half naked playmate that occurs on a regular basis.






I know the Sandman is a big fan.






I have been following the tale about the two fugitives that escaped from a Union County jail several weeks ago. The prisoners burrowed a hole in a jail cell and covered it with bikini-clad women.
After causing the suicide of a security guard due to a ill-conceived escape note that thanked him for helping the escape, the duo was recaptured over the last few days. From what I've read about these clowns (and I'm not putting their names in this blog because with the lax security at these jails, I don't need either of these two doing a google search on their names, "Mattingly" and "Sandman" and hunting me down), this wasn't a case of wrongly-accused Andy Dufresne trying to flee Shawshank.


One of the two was housed in a basement in Elizabeth. The other went to Mexico and stayed in a "flophouse".....which, to my surprise, is not the nickname for the International House of Pancakes.



When asked about getting caught, Blunt said, "Ain't nobody was trying to get away, I could have gotten away if I wanted to."



Ummm...excuse me? You were in MEXICO. You weren't trying to get away? Last time I checked, I don't think Mexico was a right turn off of any stret in the Elmora section of Elizabeth.


Don't get me wrong...there are times I felt like I was lost in E-town and thought I was in Mexico but that wasn't the case, homey. The 7-11 on Morris Ave. still took dollars and not pesos.






Here are the reasons I might go to Mexico:






1) Vacation in Cancun or Cozamel or any other Punta de whatever resort.






2) Feed my drug habit. No mom, I don't have a drug habit.....but if I did, then I'd take the first flight to Mexico City. (I'm sure she'll still call me...worrying that I'm whacked out on crack with the Sandman)






3) Escape from the law after I burrowed a hole in a jail cell and covered it with bikini-clad women as part of my plan for freedom.






I'm sure these guys will get off easy.




Hope you enjoyed that trip to McDonald's gentlemen. You won't be there again for awhile.






On a final note, I was sad to hear of Sir Edmund Hillary's (1919-2008) passing. We will never forget the legacy he left for all of those who truly appreciate everything in the world. And I'll never forget the first time I heard about Hillary's Comet. I was in elementary school at the time....I think it was 1986....it happens only like every 80 years or something....




Wait a minute....I think that's the wrong guy.


Never mind.

4 comments:

Kurt Epps-The PubScout said...

Hillary's Comet? You sure you graduated ALJ?

Todd Cohen said...

Didn't you sense my sarcasm? I learned that at ALJ, too!

Kurt Epps-The PubScout said...

Uh, no. Besides, from whom would you have learned the fine art of sarcasm at ALJ?

Todd Cohen said...

I guess just attending ALJ gave me enough fodder to last a lifetime. Consider me self-taught!