Friday, November 10, 2006

RU RAH RAH!!!

"Never in a million years..."

That seemed to be the start to every quote uttered outside Rutgers Stadium after Rutgers HUGE 28-25 victory over Louisville last night.

Watching the Yankees win is great but it's always expected. I never saw this coming. Like many others, I saw another blowout and was proven wrong again. Local Shill and I calculated how many victories I had in my four years On The Banks. The total came to 11 wins. This team has won 9 already and may eclipse my 11 win total even BEFORE the bowl game. So many years of watching Rutgers sink to a sub-.500 record....I feel like it's been an eternity. Well, I can't say that....but I'm sure this cat can.

"Just think, 40 years ago he was considered 'old.' " -- Local Shill offering his insight

I attended the contest with a few friends and it was like Homecoming Part II. Actually, it was probably better than Homecoming. The lots were packed and Mike and the Angry Puppy (below with Ray Lucas and Marco Battaglia) were there. Guys were throwing tons of insults at both of them all throughout the show. I learned so much about Mad Dog's mother. It was very informative.

A couple of notes from the game
-- How is it possible you can't get ANY Verizon phone service anywhere near the stadium? This didn't used to be the case. You'd figure the largest cell phone company and largest state univ. could get together and compare notes. This is a major engineering school, right?

-- It's amazing how many text messages I got after Rutgers pulled out that win. I learned that you only hear from people 1) when people leave the building and 2) huge games with BCS implications that involve your alma mater (Jersey Girl better get her phone ready on the 18th)

-- In one season, this team went from 56-5 (loss) to 28-25 (win). Unless there's a complete turnover in personnel, I can't understand how this could be possible.

--Mike Teel is something like 34-1 as a starting quarterback. Slightly deceiving. That's like me being 8-0 against NFL Players in tackle football. (Madden football for PS2, of course)

I ran into several people at the game I hadn't seen in ages (of course I couldn't call them on the phone for the reason listed above). I guess when there are 44,000+ people in attendance, you're bound to see someone you know.

You're also bound to wait in a bathroom line for 30 mins to drop a batch. Memo to Rutgers administration: You're making hundreds of thousands of dollars with this run....install more crappers. I watched the bathroom lines and it looked like Bill Gates was giving out $1000 bills or something.

On the subject of long lines.....can someone PLEASE explain this to me? For a wedding dress? Playstation 3....ok maybe. But a wedding dress? At least you can get in a few games of Madden on the HiDef set with the PS3.

Since Jersey Girl is on vacation, I figured this would be something she'd touch on.

How dare the state of Maine put restrictions on such legends? No alcohol on the job? Blasphemous! Do these clowns really expect us to agree with their side? People probably doled out like $2.50 or even MORE to see them in concert and now they have to rearrange their plans for this week, stay home and read in their bedrooms/parent's basements.

On a final note, the world of journalism lost a terrific reporter in Ed Bradley. Known to me as the old dude with the earring, I truly enjoyed his stories...from the recent one on Howard Stern to Muhammed Ali to the one with Michael Jackson that made everyone cringe.
Chris Rock touched on that one brilliantly.

My Coke Rewards at 1100. STILL nothing good. Stench.

1 comment:

Pete said...

Cat,

I'm impressed. Rutgers is legitimate.

If they ever face Ohio State down the line, though, my loyalties lie with a man wearing a sweater vest.