Sunday, July 23, 2006

Filth Flarn Filth!

I'll never forget the day I learned about the world of Kevin Smith.

It was a rainy day in Silvers Apartments at Rutgers the State University of New Jersey. And since we were stranded on Busch, which was pretty much the Rutgers administration's way of throwing its students on Alcatraz but with more of an Asian touch, we could have done two things. Study (HA!) or watch movies -- VHS movies (yes, I'm THAT old).

My three roommates had just returned from the video store with the movie "Clerks" in hand. I was a bit confused and not exactly fired up about seeing this movie. After all, they had just rented a movie just a few weeks prior called Angus because our friend Dave read that the movie was about kids and football. Who cares that the movie had NO other redeeming qualities....I remember it had a picture of a fat kid who looked as though he's trying to choose what part of a Shoney's deluxe buffet to partake in first.

We ALL loved Clerks. It was shocking and had many of NJ references. Plus, we could relate to the absurity in the movie. We also enjoyed the fact that "Jay" could have been the twin brother of our friend Roger. The two enjoyed a good smoke, had deep, scratchy voices and pretty much would mount anything that moved. Unlike Jay, Roger has changed since then.

He doesn't smoke as much anymore.

When I heard Clerks 2 was coming out, I was VERY excited. I wasn't really thrilled with the trailer -- a topic that Joe Pendleton has discussed in his blog dated July 11th. The Sandman and I ventured to a local multiplex to see it last evening. The movie was disgusting, completely inappropriate, and highly obscene.

I LOVED it! It was much better than the first and while he did swing and miss with some of his jokes, the ones that were successful were hilarious. I haven't laughed that hard in a movie theater in a long time.

I won't give anything away, but make sure you stay past ALL the the credits to see the bizarre thing that Mr. Smith does for his fans. Those on My Space will especially enjoy it. Especially, the porch monkeys. The WHITE porch monkeys.

In other news, the absence of Sam in softball this morning put me in a position to pick teams. It was my chance to be Joe Torre. Unfortunately, I looked more like Dallas Green. I threw 3 scoreless innings on the mound and appeared to be destined for the Sunday Morning Jew Softball Hall of Fame....but a few fat tosses to the middle of the order changed all of that. After 8 runs in 7 innings, I now have a career ERA of 10.29. We lost the game 12-11.

Oh well. At least I can still pitch for the Royals.

The true test comes this week with the first ever camp staff softball game. After 3 years of practice, I finally have a chance to show my talents. Too bad much of these "talents" involve me cracking jokes much of the game. Because popping up to the catcher isn't exactly the talent that is going to get me lifted on the shoulders of my teammates this Thursday.

Counting Crows on Wednesday....I'll try to give a full report later in the week.

(I apologize for the lack of images.....seems like blogger.com isn't accepting them now)

1 comment:

Pete said...

Cat,

I will be interested in reading your report from Counting Crows, considering they have made a mockery of themselves in recent years.

Since I have been working on the Top 100 lately, I have debated in my own mind where, if anywhere, they belong on that list. ...

As for Clerks, I was pretty set for the second one to be a disappointment. Based on your recommendation, I head to the movie hut tomorrow.