Friday, June 26, 2009

The King Has Popped











Yes, Michael...."this is it."



What a crazy week it's been for celebrity newscasts. Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett left the building (even though I thought Jackson died after that awful "Invincible" album). I wonder if the Governor of South Carolina, Mark Sanford, will be sending thank you letters to each of their estates for stealing the spotlight from him. Don't get me wrong, the guy is a moron. There are 50 governors in this country and I'm wondering if they ever talk to each other.


I think if a Governor is sworn in, he should be handed a guidebook with a list of rules. It would be like Fight Club. Rule 1: DON'T HAVE AN AFFAIR. Rule 2: DON'T SLEEP WITH OTHERS WHO ARE NOT YOUR WIFE. Rule 3: See rules 1 and 2. Rule 4: DON'T GO OVER 85 MPH IN A CAR WITHOUT A SEATBELT.








Maybe that's just in New Jersey.












So, the search began for this mistress.....Maria Belen Chapur. No photos on the web as of yet, but this video was posted. I kind of wished I paid more attention to Senora Albano in high school spanish and learned how to say more than just "Donde esta el bano?". Just like Gary Condit was removed from the public eye after 9/11, I'm guessing that will be the case in the short term for Gov. Sanford.





I remember Michael Jackson when I was growing up as the most popular person in the world. People would cry in the streets outside his hotels (I thought they were all slicing onions). His fashion sense was a little off the wall (parachute pants? 10 zippers on a jacket?), but still people copied him. The one-glove look became a Halloween fixture (just ask my brother...even though he probably won't admit it). Heterosexuals wore leather proudly. Obviously, he had quite the effect.









Even though the SARS-or swine flu-like Asian face covering never really caught on probably like he would have liked.


















A million people bought tickets to his tour next month in London (well, maybe 50 shows in London wouldn't be considered much of a "tour"...more like a "stay"). Either way, I remember when Frank Sinatra died and saw the endless television programs about his life and the effect he had on a generation. Now, I understand what they went through because Michael had a similar dominance over my generation. MTV was still a fledgling station and he turned it into his personal medium. With the internet still over a decade away, audiences tuned in for their chance to see the "Thriller" music video and get a glimpse of the new music revolution. And who could forget the endless jokes about burnt hair during a Pepsi commercial or his endless court cases?














Q: What did the woman say to Michael Jackson on the beach?














A: Excuse me, but could you please get out of my son?








While there were many strange rememberances of the King of Pop, I must admit seeing Akon get interviewed from New Mexico was a little weird. Of all the places to find the artist who sang "Locked Up", "Mama Africa" "Gangsta" and "I Want to Love You (but the word "Love" was replaced with another 4-letter word), Albuquerque wouldn't be among my top 1000 guesses.










In other news....I went with the Sandman to see the new musical "Rock of Ages". Going into the show, I wasn't expecting much but it really surpassed my expectations. Despite the onslaught of mullets, the music was amazing and there was plenty of shtick throughout the show. There was even a line that referenced my birthdate, April 14th. I would see it again in a second. If you're a fan of those 80s bands, get a ticket.






This year's Pancreatic Cancer Picnic is scheduled for Oct. 11th at the Deutscher Club in Clark, NJ. More info to come!

2 comments:

Pete said...

It took a child molestor's death to get you back blogging.

May need to go see Rock of Ages at some point. ...

Todd Cohen said...

That's definitely the pessimistic way to look at it. Even you have to admit the guy had an impact on your life at some point.

I'm not saying he was Bruuuuuuuuuce.....but he was one of the first things I saw on cable TV. And then a decade later, everything went South.

Very similar to the coaching career of one Terry Shea.