Thursday, March 12, 2009











Today was another sad day for the newspaper industry. A double whammy, in fact.












The Star Ledger announced plans for a 10 day furlough, which is basically a period of unpaid leave, and stop contributions to the paper's employee pension plan. While reading that story, I saw the Ann Arbor News (a publication for which two of my friends have toiled or currently toil) plans on ending its daily print edition - opting to go with an online format.












I spent about 6 years of my life considering a full-time job in the newspaper industry. Fortunately, my sense of humor that newspaper brass tended to take the wrong way and inability to become a seasoned and prolific writer (partly because lack of desire but also due to constant mental frustration....trying to become the next Mike Lupica when I should have tried to been the first "Joker"). While I still freelance here and there, this news really hit home.












Newspapers have always been a HUGE part of my life. When I was in middle school, I watched my brother deliver the Daily Journal and filled in for him from time to time (which eventually became everyday). My hands smelled like rubberband and newspaper ink....not exactly a combination that lured the ladies. I remember mentally cursing out the people on my route who didn't tip (or rounded up on the dollar and gave me 40 cents for 2 weeks worth of work). They left me poor and scarred for life. One of my first words in Spanish was "periodico."


Not sure what that's supposed to mean.


Now the internet has brought instant news in our lifes and attributed to the slow death of newspapers. I can't imagine the world without opening a paper to read All Area capsules...or local letters to the editor....or check the lottery numbers to see if my mother was a millionaire (I'm still waiting for her to be a hundredaire).......or stare at Bracket Boy's mug. Wow....never thought I'd write that.






What will the future bring? Are we going to have people with video cameras installed in their heads, recording every move to place on the internet for a video story? Will there continue to be a need for journalists? The only good thing to come out of this may be a name change for the New Jersey Sportswriters Association to the NJ Sportsmedia Association. Hell might have to freeze over for that to happen...












Leave it to my mom to put this all in another perspective.












"If the Star Ledger folds, what am I going to use to line the kitty litter with?"












March Madness is one of the best times of year for a sportsfan. The search for cinderella. I'd say I have seen about 50 or so college basketball games this year but that doesn't mean I'm an expert at picking games. Then again, who is?












Case in point: I'm in a pool at work...a pool that I have finished in the top 3 twice over the past 4 years. I spent about 10 minutes filling out a bracket with theories that have paid off for me in the past (never go with the Big Ten or Big East Tourney Champions.....try to stay away from teams who have lost a key player within the past month....pick at least one 12 seed to make the round of 32....never go with a New Jersey school....not a difficult choice this year).












When I got to work today, I wasn't in the lead. I can partially thank the wisdom I took from the good doctor. "West Virginia is going to be one tough out in the tournament." Not so good, AL. No, the leader was a woman who watches very little college basketball....and, adding more salt to my wound, is a big Seton Hall fan.












Me: Wow....congrats on your great performance in the pool.






Woman: Thanks!






Me: What teams did you get wrong?






Woman: Missouri and Purdue.






Me: Wait.....you picked Arizona?






Woman: Yeah.






Me: How did you get Arizona right?






Woman: Well, I looked at the teams and picked the ones that were in places I'd like to go on vacation.





I'm not even kidding.





Other absurdities to ponder:








  • How does Steve F. Austin have an NCAA Tourney caliber basketball team but no wrestling program?






  • I was sorry to hear about the loss of Natasha Richardson, and saw numerous stories about her tragic injury....but not a peep about the death of Bill Buchanan. What a travesty.






  • Memo to new Big East Commish John Marinatto: maybe it's time to treat the Big East like Italian soccer and cut the bottom 3 teams. Maybe send Rutgers, South Florida and DePaul to the A-10 and promote Xavier and Temple? Better yet, put them in Division 3. I'd love to see a Rutgers/TCNJ matchup.


There are many reasons why I refrain from telling people I graduated from Rutgers. The basketball team, the Terry Shea football regime, RU Screw...


Now I can add this to the list.


My new addiction: Mafia Wars on Facebook. Will you please join my mafia and help me loot and rob other cyber criminals for mindless fun? I didn't think so.

2 comments:

Pete said...

Thanks for the shout, cat.

Crazy to believe that newspapers are going away, mine sooner than most.

But they've largely caused their own demise, from failing to do business with the internet to watering down their papers to the point they're filled with the same wire information.

It's crazy, because when you think about it, our content is in more demand than ever, if you combine our readership in print with the online stats.

We've got more readers than ever, yet now is the time we're going down.

Something will emerge in five or 10 years, and journalism will be saved.

But it won't be in a print format.

Nor should it be. When you think about all the associated costs of maintaining a circ department, a printing press, union folks to run that press, a bulky delivery system that required fuel-inefficient trucks, that's a hell of a lot of overhead to deliver a product much later than pressing a button online that delivers timely content without all those costs.

Game over.

Kurt Epps-The PubScout said...

Nice piece on the future of journalism, though I note with some dismay that you omit any reference to your high school years. (On the other hand, if you're using the word "lifes," maybe it's best you left your HS days to the imagination... blame your middle school teachers.)

You're a natural journalist with good sense a good eye and a great ear. Do what you love, and you'll never work a day in your life.