Friday, August 25, 2006

Wanted: Truth in athletics


Can we trust ANYONE in sports anymore?

We're in the age of bigger everything...bigger arms....bigger homeruns.....bigger prices at the concession stand. $9 for a beer at Yankee Stadium? That must explain Joe Pendleton clearing out all the alcohol in the shed at Local Shill's engagement party.

(Still....we're all trying to focus on BIG and it makes me wonder why Jason BIGGS can't find any good work lately though...did anyone even SEE Jersey Girl?)

The recent focus has come on a track star and bicyclist. Justin Gatlin has NO idea how illegal substances got into his system. NO IDEA??? Do you think someone from the rival Canadians slipped it in your salad? Are you using "Roid Rage" Condoms?

Floyd Landis is no better. The guy FAILED his drug test....TWICE and still is denying it. Come on Floyd. Just live up to it and move on with your life. But before you do, can you discount the shipping on this for me, buddy? Thanks.

One set a world record in the 100 meter dash and the other was more impressive in the Tour de France's 17th stage than E.T. was on a bicycle.

We're living in an era where cheating seems to be the IN thing. And this doesn't just hold true in sports. Many of us aren't innocent either. People cheat on their taxes....they lie on tests.....they steal from merchants to get an extra item.....they cut courses in high school cross country meets and even when you tell the officials about it they says there's nothing they can do because no one else saw it and you really wanted that spot because it made a difference in whether or not your name made the local paper in the 15-50 loss or not....

I think you get the point.

When we look at the athletes who are lying to us, it makes you wonder if other's are cheating us in the real world. Did I really just get 20 gallons of gas for the right price of $2.79? Is the mailman reading my mail? Did the guy who cuts my hair charge me more than the previous customer? And why am I going to a hair salon in the first place?

I guess it's something you can't put too much thought into because then we'll be worry about EVERYTHING out there.

As for Mr. Landis, I enjoyed this old article....here's my favorite line...

"We've always been interested in Floyd, he's a damn good rider," Armstrong said

No crap. NASA wants to sign him too. They need someone to manually bring their next shuttle to Uranus. There we go...another Uranus reference. How old am I again? 12?

And in closing....all of a sudden, Pluto doesn't really matter much.

I received this link from my ol' pal JBechtmd.

I guess that explains Sandman's most recent problems. Looks like the doctor won't be able to help you with that, sir. HEY NOW!

1 comment:

Pete said...

Cat,

Great post.

Cheating is rampant in this country, which is a disgraceful spectacle. I think we need anti-cheating laws like Singapore, where you get caned if you get out of line. Or something like that.

Case in pernt:

When we were flying back from our recent visit to NJ, we waited in a 20-minute line to check our bags at the curb at EWR.

When we were next in line, a gentlemen skipped in off the curb and started moving toward the open check-in person.

I was not having any of this.

Squawking VFR said: "Excuse me, sir, there's a line here."

He seemed startled and said something to the effect that he had been standing in it, which was a blatant lie.

I had been behind the two fat African-American girls flashing a lot of bling for 20 minutes. You notice these things. They were flashing obscene amounts of cash around for 15-year-olds.

There was no sign of this whitebread douchebag right up until it was my turn at the counter.

So I told him, no you haven't been in line for 20 minutes, because I've been behind the two fat black girls who were at counter no. 2.. ... A confrontation ensued.

We went back and forth for a few minutes with him profusely denying his guilt.

I was a little peeved that I didn't get more help from the counter guy, who wanted us both to move along.

Our spat ended with me loudly saying: "Fine. If it is that important to you that you go before ALL THESE PEOPLE (now shouting) who have waited in line for a half hour, if you think you are that much more important than the rest of us, then go ahead. You're despicable, but go ahead.

Continuing to deny his obvious guilt, he proceeded to tell me that he was in line the entire time, but he was sorry if I felt otherwise.

Back to the original point of cheating, I felt it was important to at least call him out on it.

So many cheaters slip by in everyday life because no one gives enough of a damn to shame them. It's time that we bring back the old-fashion notion of making people ashamed of their anti-social behavior.