Saturday, October 13, 2007

The Name Game


Is it me or are there a growing number of football players with unusual names? My mother always told us that she gave all of her kids short names in case we were slow and couldn't spell them.

She may have been right on one account.


But the names of some of these athletes have me scratching my head. Boys named after horses? Who names a kid "Colt"? JaMarcus? Does this border on child abuse?


First I saw Colt Brennan at Texas and then Colt David pops up at LSU.

(Note: I checked the Mississippi State roster and there is no Feline Louis or Canine Williams listed)


There is a BenJarvus, a LaDerrick AND a Sen'Derrick (because Derrick just wasn't good enough), an Eryk (you think he got irritated when he saw cups with the names "Erik" and "Eric" at the local Great Adventure?), a Quindarius, a T-Bob (the son of former Saints QB Bobby Hebert...what the hell was HE thinking? maybe it was all the blows to the head while playing for that awful franchise).


Don't get me wrong....I'm sure these are all terrifc gentlemen....after all, I don't want Shukree coming to find me and drop me like it's hot or anything....


Maybe the government needs to declare some type of Martial Law and take over the naming of all kids South of the Mason-Dixon line.


Because we DEFINITELY don't want to commit abuse like this.


Poor guy.

2 comments:

SJPSandman said...

That now makes three people with the name Simeon.

Myself, this cat and Mr. Rice.

By the way, I didn't know your mom was psychic?

Kurt Epps-The PubScout said...

Pretty funny stuff, kid. Of course, my favorites in the "No doubt somebody screwed up the spelling" list are Micheal Ray Richardson, Isiah Thomas and Dwyane Whatsisname from the Miami Heat. Didn't any responsible adult run a spellcheck on these names?