Friday, July 13, 2007

Wanted: Honest Politicians




Are there any good-hearted politicians out there?




Prior to my matriculation at Rutgers, I was passionate about politics. Midway through my college career (and just 6 months prior to meeting Joe Pendleton, Jersey Girl, and Dr. Carino), I had the opportunity to attend the Republican Convention in San Diego. It was one of the most amazing experiences of my life. At the time, I was a staunch Republican (4 years in education has changed many of my views on certain issues).






Bob Dole, who had about as much of a chance of winning the presidency as I have of claiming a LeBron James Look Alike title, was the party nominee. But I was more into all of the shtick surrounding the festivities.





I had pictures/video taken with Newt Gingrich, who had about as many backers as Barry Bonds has currently, former SNLer Al Franken, and Steve Forbes.....a man whose ATM Pin number I would like to have in my possession (or even 0.000000000001 % of his checking account). On another note, I also met Jim Brown at the San Diego Zoo...and yes, he was wearing his little skull cap. He did not ask me if I knew of any available acting gigs.










The highlight of the trip was a 1 minute meeting with my childhood idol (no, not Pee Wee Herman.....although my mother might think differently) Dana Carvey. Carvey, who had his H. Ross Perot getup working, was strolling behind the media section when I strolled up to him and fired out my own Perot voice. It was my comedic peak.....it's been all downhill from there. So much for being Comedy's Crown Jew.





Once I became a junior, my interest in politics started to wane. One of the big reasons was corruption. How was I expected to try to enter this world when it was filled with nothing but scumbags? Granted there are some honest politicians and our system might be the best in the world, but issues don't seem to carry much weight. Money talks and the media can make or break a politician's career. Just ask Howard Dean. His howl heard 'round the world (or at least around Nebraska....and South Dakota.....and New Jersey......and Texas) following the 2004 Iowa Caucuses killed his chance for the top office in the world.



This week, a story hit that reminded me of why I didn't go into politics. Former Mayor Sharpe James was hit with indictments including various forms of federal corruption. After stories leaked of stolen computers when he lost his election to Cory Booker, it didn't take a brain surgeon to figure out this guy was doing some shady stuff in office.



So, Sharpe posted $250,000 bail yesterday and instead of just laying low, he decided to drum up his own P.R. campaign as mentioned in this tale.


My favorite part.....One day after being accused of taking hundreds of thousands of dollars from the city and state, the former mayor was stopped on public transportation....


Hours after he posted $250,000 bail, James was seen Thursday night riding an NJ Transit bus along Elizabeth Avenue, greeting fellow passengers and complaining about how he was treated during his arrest. A fellow passenger paid James' fare -- James promised to pay him back.

You must be kidding me. The guy has a better chance of getting $1.20 from Lady Bird Johnson than seeing that fare returned to him.


Two weeks till the Munchmobile. Man, the summer is flying by.....

1 comment:

Pete said...

Cat,

No mention of how Gordon Schochet inspired you toward a political path? I'm disappointed.

I have a similar experience in college attending the Reform Party Convention at Valley Forge, Pa. in 1996.

I didn't particularly support the Reform Party, but I did support the candidacy of former Colorado Gov. Richard Lamm, who lost the party's nomination to Ross Perot.

There was a Reform Party chairperson at Rutgers named Scott Sanders. Somehow, he got wind of my affinity for Lamm, and assumed I would be supporting Perot. He was wrong. I didn't give a rat's arse about Perot, but he kept bugging me to attend Reform Party meetings.

I digress.

I think you asked and answered your own question of 'are there any good-hearted policians out there.'

The man in your picture, for starters.

I don't think he should have beat Clinton in '96, but I think that was the last time we really had two solid choices. I think he's a good man, and I think Dole/Kemp was a good, moderate Repub ticket.

I think Tom Kean is a good-hearted man. I think Chuck Hagel is a good-hearted man, someone who I could support in '08.

I think Admiral Stockdale was a good-hearted, valuable and astute man who was mocked for the Cardinal sin of not looking good on television.

On the Big D side of the aisle, I think we miss good-hearted senators like Paul Simon, Paul Wellstone and D.P. Moynihan, miss a governor like Ann Richards.

Still serving in some capacity, Al Gore is a good-hearted man. I think John Kerry, for all his flaws, is a good man. John Edwards is a good-hearted pol, if an underwhelming presidential prospect.

Max Cleland was a great man.

... Now that I think about it, I think I just listed more people out of politics now than inside the government.

Maybe you are right.

Too many people now trying to act in the self-interest of their respective parties instead of displaying true leadership.